09 May 2012

The Genealogy Bug and the Loyalist

I have been crazy about genealogy for quite some time now and my family takes an interest in my findings, but not the research process itself. My mother-in-law recently located her mother's Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) membership number and, lo and behold, now has the genealogy bug. I am very excited to have someone genuinely interested in genealogy research and I love being able to answer the questions she emails to me.

I have read that the father of her Revolutionary War Patriot ancestor's wife was a Loyalist. The idea that our ancestors were disagreeing on politics long before Sunday afternoon debates at my grandparents' kitchen table had never before crossed my mind, but genuinely intrigues me. I registered for a webinar I found on the Geneabloggers website called Fighting for the King! Researching Your American Revolutionary War Loyalist Ancestor, presented by Kathryn Lake Hogan of LOOKING4ANCESTORS. Hopefully I will be able to determine whether what I read is valid or not, and have something interesting to discuss with my mother-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment